This recipe makes the concentrate that can then be stored in a glass jar in the fridge. I take some out in the morning, mix in some almond milk and steam.
What you need:
- Six (6) cups of water
- 1/2 cup of peeled and thinly sliced ginger
- 1/4 tsp of black peppercorns
- Two (2) heaping tbs of cardamon pods (or 1 tbs if you have the seeds)
- Two (2) cinnamon sticks
- One (1) tsp of cloves
- Four (4) organic black tea bags (or 6 tbs of loose black tea)
- One (1) tsp of vanilla
- Up to 1/3 cup of sugar
- Optional: Maple Syrup to taste
What to do:
- In the water, add ginger, black peppercorns, cardamon pods, and cinnamon sticks. Bring to boil and then let simmer for at least 30 minutes. I like to take it to 45 minutes if I have the time.
- Add the cloves, let simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Add the black tea bags let simmer for 5 minutes
- Remove tea bags and add sugar, stir and then turn off the burner.
- Add the vanilla last.
- Strain mixture into a class jar to refrigerate.
When making a cup I fill the cup about 1/3 full with concentrate and then add the almond milk. I steam this with my Breville, but you can also warm us the milk and use a frothing device. Depending on how the batch turned out or if I have a sweet tooth, I may add a little maple syrup. 😉
I invite you to play with the ratios if you want the drink more gingery or peppery, etc.
Enjoy the warm hug!